Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tears & Rain


I'm two months and three days from graduation.

Four years ago, I was just hearing back from colleges, trying to decide where I wanted to go, and preparing to leave home for the first time. A year and a half ago, I chose to leave Berkeley and move to D.C. to work, take classes, and go on five months of adventures with my best friend. One year ago, I decided I would leave my dream internship in May to go back to LA and take LSAT classes. Tonight, I'm supposed to be writing my honors thesis, but I can't focus to save my life because on May 1st, I have to decide where I'm moving in five months. For three years.

In some ways, I feel like I was just coming to Berkeley for the first time yesterday. So nervous about my overnight stay program, and thinking that this city was probably the last place on earth I wanted to live. But that was so long ago. These four years have changed everything, and I'm finally well on my way to everything I've ever wanted.

Around this time in 2006, I was sitting in the backseat of my dad's car, thinking I had never been so unsure about anything in my entire life. As we were driving up University, James Blunt's "Tears and Rain" came on, and four minutes and four seconds later, I decided I wanted to be a Cal Bear. To this day, it was the most irrational decision I've ever made. But it was one of the best.

Seven weeks exactly until I need to decide. And after four years of not hearing it, Tears & Rain is playing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment