Tuesday, February 24, 2009

No Senator, that is not how I got this necklace.

So this morning I was motivated to look through all of the jewelry I brought with me, which included lots of gorgeous necklaces, bangles, etc that my parents have given me over the past year. Among those, was this beautiful gold pearl necklace my mom gave me for Christmas. The idea was that I would use it to accent what was bound to be a basically black suit day-to-day outfit. I stand there debating whether or not to wear it, and then think, sure. I have hearings with the Fed chairman today plus a press conference in the Capitol to announce four new acts. As any good Southern Californian would...I think, it's an exciting day, I need color.

As I take off my jacket to go through security (ps. capitol pol
ice, not so cute and cuddley today), one of the other interns I work with reminds me it's Mardi Gras.

...Mardi Gras, and I'm wearing what looks to be colored be
ads. I would accidently make a decision like this. Tragically hysterical. And an LC in my office felt it was necessary to tell me that if the hearing I needed to go to was full, I could always throw the senators my beads. Presh Ryan.

Mardi Gras highlights:

*I stood in line outside the hearing because the line was short and although I went with another intern in my office, I felt bad pulling the My Boss or Press cards because we knew other people in line. But then Drew (from that Committee) walked up, looked around and said "What are you doing in line?" If we didn't get in, we were to find him and he'd have us sit behind the senator. Drew is my new best friend.
...turns out, we sat pretty close to and behind Bernanke. When else am I ever going to do that in my life?
*Went to the Senate gallery to watch the debate over Solis.
*Played several rounds of Name That Congressperson...whi
ch I've decided is nearly impossible over on the House side. Rachael and I are considering making flashcards.
*Press conference in the Capitol, to which I went early and brought a hefty flag to cover the mirror behind the podium (media people hate mirrors behind speakers). I looked s
o sketchy picking up and taking apart the flag outside our front office...made friends with Capitol Police making jokes about how I was forcing bipartisanship by walking between cloak rooms with a flag, and I was saluted several times in and out of the subway.
*Watched the "Address to Congress," felt bad for my really tired boss...and then had a laughing fit over the "Republican Response." Perhaps next time, you guys should hold auditions. He speaks in complete sentences, and I realize this is an improvement from your latest "success," but he was on all the major news shows of the night. Not Reading Rainbow. Although I enjoyed it and would actually appreciate it if he stuck around.
This is my completely unrelated, yet favorite picture of the night.

Time for bed. Goodnight, and good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment